In this Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides and Tutorials podcast, we explore the iOS App Store. The App Store is how we turn an iPhone or iPad into the best mobile accessibility tool in our arsenal of independent living tools. The phrase, “there is an app for that,” originated because of the App Store’s existence. It might be tricky to find those accessibility apps because a plethora of apps exists, however, the five tabs at the bottom of the App Store’s screen makes it a cinch to navigate. Those tabs include:
- Featured – This lists those apps Apple wishes users to look at. These are generally based on a theme associated with the time of year, as the podcast demonstrated the strong focus on Thanksgiving and holiday traveling apps on the Featured page in November.
- Categories – This lists the major genres of apps. Keep in mind that there is no accessibility category, and our blindness specific apps might be found in a host of different categories.
- Top Charts – This identifies the top paid, free, and grossing apps. This is fun to look at to see current trends.
- Search – This is where you will spend your time finding those accessibility related apps. You can specifically search for the name of an app or just type in blindness to see what comes up.
- Updates – This is where you will update your apps and see a list of when different apps where updated. Double tapping on the name of the app will allow you to see when the update was published and a list of changes.
Thank you for listening to this Blind Vet Tech tutorial on navigating the iOS App Store. If you have any questions, comments, or requests, feel free to send us an email here. All of our podcasts and other information related to Veterans, blindness, acceptance of a disability, and other resources may be found at BlindNotAlone.com