In this Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides, News and Reviews podcast, we guide you through the basics of iOS’ 3D Touch. 3D Touch is a method to interact with iPhones and iPads by firmly pressing into the screen to bring up a contextual menu, preview of a linked item, and so much more. Voice Over users may require a couple of attempts to get the hang of it, since it requires you to first locate an item through explore by touch and then press into the screen. This is very different from the standard swiping, flicking, and other gestures commonly used with Voice Over, though its similar to the double tap and hold gesture.
iOS offers individuals a couple of settings to customize 3D Touch and a limited practice area. You may find these items by navigating into Settings > General > Accessibility > 3D Touch. Here are the three options in this menu:
- 3D Touch on/off toggle
- Sensitivity ticker with Light, Medium, and Firm settings
- Practice mode button, which may be difficult for Voice Over users to activate as the podcast demostrates
3D Touch may be used on the Lock Screen, Home Screen, and in various locations within apps. Here are a few of the ways I use 3D Touch:
- Clear away notifications on the Lock Screen
- Find the notification by exploring the screen with a finger
- 3D Touch on the notification
- Swipe to the left or right to locate the desired button, like clear or complete buttons
- Quickly interact with apps on the Home Screen to compose messages or make a call
- Find the desired app by exploring the screen with one finger
- 3D Touch on the app to bring up a contextual menu consisting of buttons for dismissing the menu, sharing the app, composing a new message, calling a favorite person, viewing recent activities, or starting a workout
3D Touch possesses many more exciting functions based on the app. To aid in learning how 3D Touch works, share your favorite ways to use 3D Touch below.
If you enjoy the Blind Vet Tech Podcast series, we invite anyone interested in assistive technology for the blind to join us on our monthly tech teleconferences. Click here to see a list of our calls and how to connect via Zoom.
Stay up to date with the latest news and announcements from the Blind Vet Tech team, by doing one of the following:
- Subscribe to the Blind Vet Tech News and Announcements podcast on iTunes
- Subscribe to the Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides and Tutorials on iTunes
- Follow the Blind Vet Tech podcasts on your Victor Reader Stream, Hims Blaze, or podcasting app by searching for Blind Vet Tech in the podcast section
- Receive an email about any posts by subscribing to our blog
If you have any questions, comments, or requests, feel free to send us an email here. All of our podcasts and other information related to Veterans, blindness, acceptance of a disability, and other resources may be found at BlindNotAlone.com