In this Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides and Tutorials podcast, we describe how to activate and use the Voice Over Rotor. The Voice Over Rotor is a cross between a contextual menu and traditional screen reader keyboard shortcut gesture. This task requires one to preform the following actions:
- Open the Settings App and navigate to General, Accessibility, and Voice Over. Asking Siri to “open Voice Over Settings” will accomplish this as well.
- Navigate to Rotor, below Braille )which is for Braille displays).
Below are the onscreen gestures to control the Rotor
- Place two fingers on the screen with a little bit of separation
- Turn both fingers clockwise or counter clockwise, as if turning a dial
- Flick up or down to hear the options available under a particular selection<
- If the selection is for navigational or text selection purposes, flick left and right to conduct the task
- If the selection modifies something, double tap on the screen to preform the task, like pasting text
Below are the steps to use the Rotor with a paired keyboard:
- Activate Quick Nav by pressing the left and right arrow keys together
- Use the Right or left arrow key with the up arrow key to scroll through the Rotor’s options
- Use the up or down arrow key to hear the options available under a particular selection<
- If the selection is for navigational or text selection purposes, press the left or right arrow key to conduct the task
- If the selection modifies something, press either VO plus the spacebar or the up and down arrow keys to activate the option, like pasting text
We hope you enjoy this tutorial on setting up and using the Voice Over Rotor.