In this Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides, News and Reviews podcast, we embark upon our “getting Started with Narrator” series. This series enables one to learn how to use Microsoft Narrator by following along with the “Get Started with Narrator,” located on the Microsoft Support Pages. This series is our companion series to our Monthly Narrator Talk, which occurs on the second Tuesday of the month at 1300 CST. To learn how to connect, click here. To follow along, you will need Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition or later, since earlier versions of Windows 10 do not have many of the same key combos or functions as newer versions of Windows. Anyone with Windows 8 or older will not be able to follow along on their computers, since Narrator was very limited in these versions.
This first chapter focuses on how to activate Narrator. This may be accomplished by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key plus Control, Enter while on any screen
- Press Windows Key, Control, “N” to bring up Narrator’s settings and press Spacebar
- Press Windows Key and “U” to bring up the Ease of Access Center, press tab, and then Enter
If you enjoy the Blind Vet Tech Podcast series, we invite anyone interested in assistive technology for the blind to join us on our monthly tech teleconferences. Click here to see a list of our calls and how to connect via Zoom.
Stay up to date with the latest news and announcements from the Blind Vet Tech team, by doing one of the following:
- Subscribe to the Blind Vet Tech News and Announcements podcast on iTunes
- Subscribe to the Blind Vet Tech Quick Guides and Tutorials on iTunes
- Follow the Blind Vet Tech podcasts on your Victor Reader Stream, Hims Blaze, or podcasting app by searching for Blind Vet Tech in the podcast section
- Receive an email about any posts by subscribing to our blog
If you have any questions, comments, or requests, feel free to send us an email here. All of our podcasts and other information related to Veterans, blindness, acceptance of a disability, and other resources may be found at BlindNotAlone.com